Wolverines clinch playoff berth, share of conference title
Polk County’s girls tennis team is heading back to the state 1A playoffs
Polk County’s girls tennis team is heading back to the state 1A playoffs.
The Wolverines assured themselves of a postseason trip and clinched a share of the Western Highlands Conference regular-season title with a 9-0 victory Tuesday at Avery.
Polk County (9-4, 4-0) secured the top 1A spot in the conference, completing a season sweep of Avery. The Wolverines host Mountain Heritage on Thursday and can clinch the WHC title outright with a victory.
“Great to get the win and secure a playoff berth,” said Polk County head coach Richard Davis. “Even though we had some close matches I was proud of the way that we mentally hung in there and didn’t lose focus.”
1. Hannah Jenne d. Hannah Rice 10-1; 2. Tana Harris d. Ellie Kitchin 10-8; 3. Julia Griffin d. Aidan Betz 10-6; 4. Virginia Rostick d. Cassie Bailey 10-6; 5. Sara Muse d. Emma Kitchin 10-0; 6. Ava Marino d. Camryn Green 10-7.
1. Jenne-Harris d. Rice-Betz 8-1; 2. Griffin-Rostick d. Ellie Kitchin-Bailey 8-6; 3. Muse-Marino d. Emma Kitchin-Green 9-7.
- Justice wraps prep career with second place at New Balance Nationals Outdoor
- Polk County places seventh in 1A Wells Fargo Cup race
- Youth basketball camp kicks off Wednesday afternoon at PCHS
- Owen adds to honors with All-State selection
- Golf tournament part of effort to complete Lassiter’s Harmon Field renovation