Lorenzo Sanchez raced to a win Tuesday in the 110-meter hurdles to lead Polk County Middle’s efforts at the Blue Ridge Conference Track and Field Championships at North Henderson High School.
Sanchez blazed through the race in a time of 17.70 to easily win the conference title in the event, topping Rugby Middle’s Zack McMinn by more than a second and a half.
Sanchez also finished second in the long jump with a mark of 17-1 1/4, a half-inch behind the winning leap of Apple Valley’s Ayden Berry.
A number of Wolverines had top-five finishes as Polk Middle’s boys placed fifth in the team standings and the Polk girls finished seventh. Brevard Middle won the girls team title, topping Hendersonville Middle, while Apple Valley’s boys dominated the field to win the conference championship, finishing 45 points ahead of runner-up Rugby.
Canton Middle’s Mason Putnam had a day to rememmber, winning the 100, 200 and 400-meter runs.
Among Polk Middle’s efforts:
- Bailey Staton took second in the shot put with a throw of 27-8 and also placed fourth in the 200 meters in 30.55
- Jayden Duncan finished second in the discus with a throw of 70-4 3/4
- Kaylynne Holbert soared to third in the high jump with a mark of 4-2
- Aklya Cunningham placed fourth in the 100 meters with a time of 14.50
- Nolan Simpson took second in the triple jump with a mark of 34-4
- DeAndre Twitty grabbed fifth in the 400 meters with a time of 57.52
- Aaron Jackson finished fifth in the 1600-meter run in a time of 5:20.47