Polk County Middle track team wraps up record-breaking season
Polk County Middle recently wrapped up a solid outdoor track season that featured a number of record-breaking performances.
The Wolverine girls squad placed fourth in the Blue Ridge Middle School Conference meet and set a number of school records:
* Izzy Jackson broke the 100-meter dash record with a 13.10 and placed second at the conference meet.
* Mariah Overholt broke the 400-meter dash record with a 1:02.69, finishing as conference champion.
* Sadie Allen broke the 800-meter run record with a 2:57.6.
* Overholt, Jackson, Allen and Julianna Robbins made up the 4×400 relay team that broke the school record twice this season and won the conference championship with a time of 4:25.64.
* Allen broke a longstanding record in the triple jump with a distance of 26-5, finishing sixth at the conference meet
* Overholt broke her own record in the long jummp with a distance of 16-1. That mark would have won the Western Highlands Conference high school meet.
* Taylor Newton broke the discus record with a throw of 58-0.
“All of these young ladies will move on to the high school next year,” said Polk Middle head coach Cathy Elliott. “Look for more news about each one of them. Great year for the PCMS Lady Wolverines.”
Polk Middle’s boys squad placed ninth in the conference meet and also set a few records:
* Evan Miller, Jake Justice, Jackson Hansen and Lukas Tipton broke the 4×200 meter relay with a time of 1:45.98, placing second in the conference meet
* Lambert broke the 1600-meter run record at conference with a 5:30.44.
* Miller, Justice, Jack Derkash and Jackson Hansen broke the 4×400 meter relay mark with a time of 4:01.48, finishing second in the conference meet
* Hayden Shumate broke two throwing records this year. He threw a 93-4 in discus and 36-4 in shot put