Polk Middle rally falls just short in season opener
Polk County Middle staged a seventh-inning rally Thursday, but fell just short in a 10-8 loss to Apple Valley in Blue Ridge Conference softball action
Polk County Middle staged a seventh-inning rally Thursday, but fell just short in a 10-8 loss to Apple Valley in Blue Ridge Conference softball action in Hendersonville.
The Wolverines trailed 3-0 early, but rallied for five runs in the fourth inning to take the lead. Eva Steep, Sarah Vitale, Elizabeth Vitale, Makala Fisher and Kayleigh Wilson all scored during the inning, with Madison Luss providing a key two-run single and Sarah Gray adding a sacrifice to bring in another run.
Apple Valley tied the game in the fourth, then scored three times in the fifth and twice more in the sixth. But Sarah Vitale, Elizabeth Vitale and Fisher all scored in the top of the seventh as the Wolverines pulled within two, but could get no closer.
Polk Middle is slated to hold its home opener on Monday, facing Hendersonville Middle at 4:30 p.m. at Polk County Recreation Complex.
- Polk trio honored at WNC Sports Awards Banquet
- Audio slideshow: Polk County athletes compete at 1A state track and field meet
- Justice leaves his mark on state track with record, another pole vault title
- Emotional 4×400 state title tinged with sadness for Polk seniors
- Wolverines battle, but drop 2-0 decision to Union Academy