Burnett, Thompson drop state wrestling tourney openers
Polk County’s two state wrestling tournament qualifiers each dropped their opening matches Friday in the 1A tourney in Greensboro
Polk County’s two state wrestling tournament qualifiers each dropped their opening matches Friday in the 1A tourney in Greensboro.
Preston Burnett suffered a third-period fall to Chatham Central’s Cole Armstrong in the 126-pound class while defending state champion Jacari Deal of Voyager Academy pinned Trey Thompson in the first round of their 170-pound quarterfinal.
Burnett will face Uwharrie Charter’s Timmy Blake in Saturday morning’s consolation round while Thompson will meet East Surry’s Joseph Becker.
Action continues through Saturday evening in all four classifications at Greensboro Coliseum.
- Polk trio honored at WNC Sports Awards Banquet
- Audio slideshow: Polk County athletes compete at 1A state track and field meet
- Justice leaves his mark on state track with record, another pole vault title
- Emotional 4×400 state title tinged with sadness for Polk seniors
- Wolverines battle, but drop 2-0 decision to Union Academy