East spoils Polk’s season opener, wins in four sets
East Henderson handed Polk County a 3-1 setback Monday in a season-opening non-conference volleyball match in Flat Rock.
The Eagles pulled out a 25-19, 25-23, 22-25, 25-19 victory to defeat the Wolverines for the first time since 2010. Polk County had won eight straight matches in the series.
Grace Lauer had 11 kills to lead the Polk offense, with Kristen Hall adding nine and Meadow Becker adding six. Sydney Waldman had 28 assists.
Hall finished with 19 digs and Waldman had 13 for the Wolverines.
Polk County makes its home debut on Tuesday, hosting Tuscola at 6:30 p.m.
- Polk trio honored at WNC Sports Awards Banquet
- Audio slideshow: Polk County athletes compete at 1A state track and field meet
- Justice leaves his mark on state track with record, another pole vault title
- Emotional 4×400 state title tinged with sadness for Polk seniors
- Wolverines battle, but drop 2-0 decision to Union Academy