Polk County Middle’s track and field team took advantage of Tuesday’s sterling weather to produce a pretty good afternoon of performances.
The Wolverine boys took second and the Polk Middle girls placed third in a five-team Blue Ridge Conference meet held in G.M. Tennant Stadium.
The Polk Middle boys came within a point and a half of defeating Apple Valley, which scored 86.5 points to Polk’s 85. Rugby won the girls meet with 75.33 points, followed closely by Hendersonville Middle at 74.33 and Polk Middle at 68.33.
Aklya Cunningham won the 100-meter dash in a time of 13.57 and took second in the 100-meter hurdles to lead the Polk girls. Jessie Bradley finished second in the 800-meter run and the Polk girls won the 4×400-meter relay.
The Wolverine boys had a handful of first-place efforts:
- DeAndre Twitty won the 400 meters in 57.39
- Aaron Jackson won the 1600 meters in 5:20.92
- Lorenzo Sanchez took the 110-meter hurdles in 17.33 and the long jump with a mark of 17-3.
- Polk’s 4×400 team won that race in a time of 4:13.55
- Nolan Simpson reached 36-0 to win the triple jump
Polk Middle is off next week for spring break, then will return to action on April 26 in the Blue Ridge Conference Championships at Apple Valley.