Nelon sets school record in shot put at JDL meet
Polk County’s Michaela Nelon set a school record in the shot put Friday to lead the Wolverines at the 2016 Visit Winston-Salem Mini Meet, held at JDL Fast Track in Winston-Salem.
Nelon won the event with a throw of 33-7 3/4, topping the previous indoor school mark of 32-5 set in 2012 by Charlyn Bullock. Nelon had already broken the record on her third attempt, a 32-7 throw, before winning the event with her final throw of the evening.
Teammate Tameeia Brown placed fifth in the event.
Nelon was the only Polk County event winner at the meet, dominated by the Burlington Cummings women and Green Hope men.
Cummings scored 98 points to easily outdistance Pinecrest, which finished with 49 points. Polk County’s girls placed seventh out of 22 schools with 29 points.
Green Hope piled up 106 points, finishing well ahead of runner-up Millbrook with 54 points. Polk County placed 12th out of 29 teams with 17 points.
Complete Polk County performances in Friday’s meet:
26. John Dougherty, 7.66
11. Jacob Wolfe, 1:13.11
3. Sean Doyle, 4:33.95; 23. Caleb Potter, 5:04.71; 30. Sam Korzelius, 5:15.03
9. Mitchell Brown, 10:51.37
4×800 Meter Relay
3. Polk County (Sean Doyle, Jacob Wolfe, Mitchell Brown, Jeremy Allsbrook), 8:28.08
7. Donivan Twitty, 35-2.25; 10. Zach Foy, 32-7.25; 12. Nicholas Barwell, 28-11.5
6. Troy Lieberman, 11-0.
25. Maranda Gosnell, 48.29
10. Emma Wagoner, 1:30.25; 13. Julianna Robbins, 1:31.54; 16. Haley Fowler, 1:32.76
9. India Godlock 3:24.47; 16. Savannah Robbins, 3:39.22; 30. Haven Dufford, 4:06.88
4. Marissa Longshore, 4-6
9. Emma Wagoner, 31-4
1. Michaela Nelon 33-7.75; 5. Tameeia Brown, 30-7.75; 10. Maggie Silvers, 24-5.25.
4×200 Meter Relay
7. Polk County (India Branham, Izzy Jackson, Julianna Robbins, Haley Fowler), 1:58.01
4×800 Meter Relay
2. Polk County (Haven Dufford, India Godlock, Haley Fowler, Emma Wagoner), 10:39.82
- College roundup: Godlock having solid spring, Livesay nears end of senior season
- Twitty captures USA South shot put conference title
- Owen in running for 2019 NFCA Freshman of the Year
- Indoor facility helping brighten the future of Polk County baseball
- Emory takes medalist honors at WHC match in Newland