Braxton Edwards’ first 500-meter run of the indoor track season didn’t just set a new school record.
Edwards posted the fastest 500 meters of the season to date of any runner in North Carolina.
Even better – Edwards’ 500 time of 1:06.40 is currently the fastest reported time in the event in the United States.
Granted, the season is just now beginning to crank up, and most of the performances in the event are from North Carolina and Virginia. Three of the top nine teams in the nation, in fact, came from the same race at Polk County’s Polk Polar Bear #1 meet on Dec. 1.
But, all that aside, Edwards can say that as of Dec. 7, he’s got the fastest 500-meter mark of any high schooler in the country.
Pretty impressive stuff, indeed.
U.S. High School Boys 500 meters
As reported on MileSplit USA as of Dec. 7
- Braxton Edwards, Polk County, 1:06.40
- Emanual Williams, Central Academy (N.C.), 1:07.10
- Vance Jones, Patton, 1:07.40
- Jack Wolf, Weddington, 1:08.40
- Adrien Jacobs, Durham School of the Arts, 1:08.73
- Donald Moore, East Mecklenburg, 1:08.80
- Justin Powell, Parkland, 1:08.84
- Noah Nicholson, Riverside (1A), 1:08.90
- Austin McGuire, Patton, 1:09.10
- Michail Rose, Faith In Action Ministries Athletics and Recreation (Va.), 1:09.23