Polk County will join six other area schools this fall to form the Mountain Foothills 7 Conference.
Though still pending final approval from the North Carolina High School Athletic Association, Mountain Foothills 7 is the name that member schools have chosen for the new league, which will include Brevard, Chase, East Rutherford, Hendersonville, Patton, Polk County and R-S Central.
The News Herald in Morganton first reported the conference’s choice and multiple sources have confirmed the name. The name selection is one of the final steps in the NCHSAA four-year realignment that will go into effect for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The 2A conference will be the sixth league association in Polk County history. The previous leagues:
- Appalachian Conference, 1989-1993
- Apple Country Conference, 1993-1997
- Smoky Mountain Conference, 1997-2001
- Southern Foothills Conference, 2001-2005
- Western Highlands Conference, 2005-2021