Wednesday proved a day of welcome firsts for Polk County’s girls tennis team.
The Wolverines used their solid performance in singles play to record a 5-4 victory over R-S Central in a Mountain Foothills 7 Conference match on Polk’s courts.
Claiming its conference opener provided Polk County (1-3, 1-0) with some notable achievements:
* It marked the first conference win for the program since joining the MF7 as Polk was winless in league matches last season.
* The victory was Polk’s first of this season.
* The win was also the first for head coach Tracy Becker, who took over the program prior to the start of the season, replacing long-time head coach Richard Davis.
Polk achieved all of that thanks in large part to winning four of the six singles matches. Cameron Ward, Allie Quoyle and Tali Thompson each took straight-set wins, but it was Bella Sheffron’s effort at No. 3 singles that proved key. Sheffron and Madalyn Hughes split the first two sets, leading to a tiebreaker that Sheffron claimed 10-8 to give the Wolverines a 4-2 lead entering doubles play.
Quoyle and Thompson quickly picked up the match-clinching point, rolling to an 8-0 win at No. 3 doubles. That point proved vital as R-S Central rallied to win the remaining doubles matches, including a 9-8 (12-10) nailbiter at No. 1.
Polk County is slated to return to its home courts on Thursday, hosting Patton in another conference clash.
1. Alexis Nanney (RS) d. Elizabeth Vitale 6-0, 6-0; 2. Emily Huddleston (RS) d. Sarah Vitale 6-3, 6-1; 3. Bella Sheffron (PC) d. Madalyn Hughes 6-1, 4-6; 10-8 tiebreaker; 4. Cameron Ward (PC) d. Alyssa Nanney 6-4, 6-4; 5. Allie Quoyle (PC) d. Madleyn Hasty 6-1, 6-1; 6. Tali Thompson (PC) d. Logan Edgerton 6-0, 6-0.
1. Alexis Nanney-Hughes (RS) d. E. Vitale-Sheffron 9-8 (12-10); 2. Huddleston-Alyssa Nanney (RS0 d. S. Vitale-Ward 8-3; 3. Quoyle-Thompson (PC) d. Hasty-Edgerton 8-0.