Second-half run lifts Madison Middle past Polk Middle girls
Madison Middle pulled away in the second half Wednesday to hand Polk County Middle a 23-14 setback in girls basketball action at Polk
Madison Middle pulled away in the second half Wednesday to hand Polk County Middle a 23-14 setback in girls basketball action at Polk.
The Patriots held the Wolverines to just four points in the second half to earn victory in the season opener for both teams.
Polk Middle took a 5-4 lead at the end of the first period, only to see Madison open the second quarter with a 6-0, grabbing a 10-5 lead. Three free throws by Mia Bradley and a Kayleigh Wilson basket helped Polk pull within 12-10 at halftime.
But that would be as close as the Wolverines would get. Polk did cut the Madison lead to 16-12 entering the fourth period on an Ada Kelley basket, but the Patriots held Polk scoreless until 1:29 remained in the game to seal the win.
Wilson led Polk County with six points, with Bradley and Caroline Taylor each scoring three and Kelley adding two.
Polk Middle hosts Apple Valley on Thursday in another Blue Ridge Conference clash.
- PCVC 14U picks up first win at AAU national tournament
- Wolverines 12th Man to hold kickoff celebration on August 10
- PCVC 14U team opens play in national championship tourney
- Polk boys basketball program to begin summer workouts
- Justice wraps prep career with second place at New Balance Nationals Outdoor