Godlock takes 5th as Polk runners fare well at Freedom 5K
The men’s championship pitted 215 runners from several 1A-4A schools in one event. Polk County faced some of the main competitors the Wolverines will meet in the 2A regional championships on the same course in late October. For the Wolverines, who placed 14th out of 31 schools, sophomore Sean Doyle led the team with a 17:11 performance, followed by Jacob Wolfe at 18:50, Jake Russell at 19:10, Eli Hall at 19:38, Daniel Painter at 19:50 and Will Sachse at 21:45.
In the women’s championship, freshman India Godlock sparked the drive for the Wolverines. Godlock ran a stellar 20:12, finishing 5th overall, and the team placed 12th out of 25 schools. Shea Wheeler followed for the Wolverines in 22:24, Hayley Kropp 23:40, Leigh Deavor 24:27, Britain Hamrick 25:03, Selena Chavez 25:24 and Leah Hardin 27:58.
Both Polk teams travel to Hagen Stone in Greensboro next Saturday.
- Polk trio honored at WNC Sports Awards Banquet
- Audio slideshow: Polk County athletes compete at 1A state track and field meet
- Justice leaves his mark on state track with record, another pole vault title
- Emotional 4×400 state title tinged with sadness for Polk seniors
- Wolverines battle, but drop 2-0 decision to Union Academy