Gymnasts at Foothills Gymnastics Academy participated Feb. 19 in the Lucky Charm Invitational in Concord.
The Lucky Charm Invitational aims to encourage kids with congenital heart disease. The theme is “There’s always a rainbow after every storm! Show your colors and stay strong.” Therefore, gymnasts and coaches were encouraged to dress in rainbows and bright colors to cheer on the kids with congenital heart disease.
Anna Bucher, Hadley Pereira, Kendall Medina and Aria Springs represented FGA at the AAU Xcel Bronze level. Genevieve Ard, ScottLynn Whiteside and Kylie Whitinger participated at the AAU Xcel Gold level. Hallee Mathis and Sherlyn Trejo competed at the AAU Xcel Platinum level.
For the FGA Bronze team:
- Bucher received 35.225 all-around from her fourth place on floor with 9.325 and 8.8 on balance beam. She scored her highest floor score of the season and raised her all-around score by almost a half-point.
- Pereira competed for the first time and did beautifully. She achieved 36.175 all-around from her 9.125 on floor, 9.1 on vault, 9.0 on bars and 8.95 on beam.
- Medina earned 34.95 all-around from her 9.2 on vault and 8.7 on floor. She got her highest vault score this season as well as improved her floor score. Medina received 34.725 all around from her 9.0 on floor and 8.9 on bars.
- Springs’ bar score was her highest yet.
Bronze scores keep improving each competition and the gymnasts are getting stronger. FGA’s Bronze team earned the sixth place team award.
For FGA Gold:
- Ard earned first all-around within her division with her 36.850 all-around from her first on beam with 9.3, first on vault with 9.25, second on floor with 9.25 and 9.05 on bars. She improved her beam score from her previous competition.
- Whiteside achieved 35.350 all-around from her third on beam with 9.075, 9.0 on bars and 8.675 on floor. She had a beautiful bar routine.
- Whitinger received 34.90 from her fourth place on beam with 9.0, and 9.0 on bars. Her beam was fantastic.
Despite larger teams, FGA’s Xcel Gold team earned a fourth place team award.
For Xcel Platinum:
- Mathis earned third place all-around with 35.35 from her first place on beam with 9.45 and 8.7 on floor. She scored her highest on beam this season.
- Trejo earned first place all-around in her division with 37.125 from her tie for first on floor with 9.3, first on bars with 9.2, first on vault with 9.2 and second on beam with 9.425. She caught the judges’ eye with her unique beam mount.