Wolverines top Highland Tech in 1A boys tennis playoff opener
Polk County made its first boys tennis posteason appearance in six years a memorable one Wednesday, handing Highland Tech a 5-3 defeat in the opening round of the state 1A playoffs
Polk County made its first boys tennis posteason appearance in six years a memorable one Wednesday, handing Highland Tech a 5-3 defeat in the opening round of the state 1A playoffs.
The Wolverines (13-3) advance to a second-round match at Lincoln Charter (13-1), which received a first-round bye. That match is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday.
The teams split the six singles matches to open the day, with Ryan Heider, Henry Heider and Henry Monts each winning in straight sets.
That made doubles play the deciding factor, and Polk County won the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles pairings, with Ryan Heider and Payton Stott posting an 8-3 victory at No. 1 and Monts and Henry Heider earning a 9-8 (7-5) win at No. 2 doubles to secure the match.
1. Ryan Heider (PC) d. Daniel Friday 6-0, 6-0; 2. Henry Heider (PC) d. Matthew Stewart 6-1, 6-3; 3. Henry Monts (PC) d. Staton Jones 6-3, 6-2; 4. Josiah Greene (H) d. Payton Stott 6-4, 6-2; 5. Will Pattinson (H) d. Ethan Edwards 6-7, 6-3, 6-2; 6. Dalton Sweezy (H) d. Jesus Avellaneda 6-1, 5-7, 7-6.
1. R. Heider-Stott (PC) d. Friday-Greene 8-3; 2. H. Heider-Monts (PC) d. Stewart-Jones 9-8 (7-5).
- PCVC 14U picks up first win at AAU national tournament
- Wolverines 12th Man to hold kickoff celebration on August 10
- PCVC 14U team opens play in national championship tourney
- Polk boys basketball program to begin summer workouts
- Justice wraps prep career with second place at New Balance Nationals Outdoor