Early outburst helps Rugby top Polk Middle, stay unbeaten
Rugby remained the only unbeaten team in the Blue Ridge Conference, handing Polk County Middle a 14-4 loss Thursday
Rugby remained the only unbeaten team in the Blue Ridge Conference, handing Polk County Middle a 14-4 loss Thursday in action at Polk County Recreation Complex.
Polk Middle dropped to 3-4 with the defeat. The Wolverines host Apple Valley on MOnday at 4:30 p.m.
The Raiders jumped to a 9-4 lead at the end of the first inning, added two runs in the third, a single run in the fourth and two more in the fifth to account for the final score.
The Wolverines racked up their runs in the first as Gunnar Alm singled to open the inning. Angus Weaver drew a one-out walk, with another walk to Gabe Alvarado loading the bases.
Mason Beiler followed with a single to drive in Alm and Weaver. With two outs, Bryson Jones and Cohen Edwards drew walks, with Alvarado scoring on Edwards’ walk, before Karson Scruggs singled to drive in Beiler.
Alm and Beiler had the lone hits on the day for Polk Middle.
- College roundup: Godlock having solid spring, Livesay nears end of senior season
- Twitty captures USA South shot put conference title
- Owen in running for 2019 NFCA Freshman of the Year
- Indoor facility helping brighten the future of Polk County baseball
- Emory takes medalist honors at WHC match in Newland