Polk County isn’t taking the largest contingent of competitors to Saturday’s state 2A track and field championships.
But what the Wolverines may lack in quantity, they make up for in quality, according to head coach Alan Peoples.
“I think we can end up in the top 10 with both teams,” Peoples said.
A rainy day is expected to greet the 2A and 4A athletes who will compete in the state meet on the campus of North Carolina A&T State University. The meet is slated to begin at 10 a.m.
Polk County enters with both of its 4×800-meter relay teams seeded second and senior Sean Doyle seeded 2nd in the 1600 meters. Doyle’s also seeded fifth in the 800, but Peoples has a good feeling about that race.
“Sean can win the 800,” Peoples said. “If that happens, don’t be surprised. That’s going to be his last race, and he can go all out.”
Polk County also has an excellent shot at bringing home at least one medal in the boys pole vault, where junior Troy Lieberman and freshman Jake Justice are seeded in the top four.
Doyle, junior India Godlock and senior Emma Wagoner will each compete in three events, with Wagoner and Godlock running in the 4×800 and 4×400-meter relays. Godlock will also compete in the 1600-meter run while Wagoner will be in the triple jump.
“Emma is an excellent triple jumper, but it’s a bad year to be in the triple jump,” Peoples said. “There are a couple of schools down in the middle of the state that have some outstanding triple jumpers.
“I hope she can get a (personal record). I’d love to see her win it, but I want to see her go out with a PR.”
Polk County’s complete list of state meet competitors includes:
* Girls shot put: Micheala Nelon, 10th, 34-8.5
* Girls long jump: Marissa Longshore, 12th, 15-9
* Girls triple jump: Emma Wagoner, 9th, 33-2
* Girls 4×800-meter relay: Polk County, 2nd, 10:00.24
* Girls 1600-meter run: India Godlock, 8th, 5:43.56
* Girls 400-meter run: Izzy Jackson, 9th, 1:01.39; Mariah Overholt, 13th, 1:02.32
* Girls 4×400-meter run: Polk County, 10th, 4:18.00
* Boys pole vault: Troy Lieberman, 2nd, 13-0; Jake Justice, 4th, 12-6
* Boys 4×800-meter relay: Polk County, 2nd, 8:22.33
* Boys 1600-meter run: Sean Doyle, 2nd, 4:27.74
* Boys 800-meter run: Sean Doyle, 5th, 2:01.68